You spend a lot of time in your kitchen. It’s not just the room where you cook. It’s also the room where you enjoy meals together, entertain, relax, and possibly even work. In the past, the kitchen offered standard features found in virtually every kitchen. Today, the list of custom features and amazing options you can include in a kitchen remodel are nearly endless. If you’re considering remodeling your kitchen, we’ve compiled a list of features that we love that will make your kitchen more functional and make your life easier.
- If you have the space, include an island in your kitchen remodel. They provide invaluable workspace and can house a number of great features.
- Heated floors, like those usually found in bathrooms, have begun making their way into the kitchen. No more standing around on a cold floor to cook or retrieve your morning coffee.
- Add a bar sink to your island. It can act as a secondary prep area.
- Farmhouse sinks add a vintage look to your kitchen, making them a hot trend in kitchen remodels.
- A pot filler installed next to your range means no more lugging huge pots of water across the kitchen. Instead, fill pots right on the range.
- A built-in trash and recycling center will keep refuge out of site and easy to sort.
- Many homeowners dislike having to break up their beautiful back splash to accommodate electrical outlets. Consider having a power strip installed under the cabinets or install a hidden power strip that can be pushed down into the counter when not being used.
- Add an end cap to a cabinet or island to store bills and other papers, keys, notes, and a dry erase board. Simply close the door when not in use to keep everything tucked out of sight.
- Watch cooking shows or look up recipes with a built-in media center, including a TV and computer. This can also double as the perfect spot for kids to do homework.
- A walk-in pantry is a definite must for any kitchen remodel. Go beyond just standard shelves by adding drawers, cubbies, and counter space for appliances.
- Swap out a few standard-sized drawers for deep drawers that can accommodate large items like pots and pans. Next to the range is the perfect spot. Add dividers to one of these deep drawers to create the perfect storage space for cookie sheets, muffin pans, and other bakeware.
- Keep your spices handy and easy to find with tall, slide-out spice drawers on either side of the oven.
- Slide-out shelves in the cabinets give you easy access to items, especially those in the back that tend to get lost or forgotten.
- Adding a lazy susan to corner cabinets make them much more functional and user-friendly.
- Ventilated produce drawers are perfect for storing produce that doesn’t require refrigeration. They keep the food fresh while keeping it tucked out of sight.
- Appliances can make your counter look cluttered. An appliance garage allows you to keep the appliances you use frequently plugged in and ready to use while keeping them tucked out of sight.
- A pull-out work table is a great way to add instant work space. When not in use, it tucks back into the cabinetry and looks like a standard drawer.
- One of the big trends with appliances in kitchen remodels is camouflaging appliances behind panels that match the rest of your kitchen cabinetry to create a sleek, streamlined appearance.
- Double ovens allow you to bake in both at the same time, which comes in handy if you have multiple dishes that need to cook at different temperatures. You can also cook in one and use the other to keep other dishes warm.
- Warming drawers are another great addition, especially if you entertain a lot. These drawers keep food warm without removing moisture. The island is a great place to install one.
- Can’t decide between a gas range or an electric one? Several manufacturers are offering ranges that feature both, giving you the best of both worlds.
- Add a cooktop to your island, either as your primary cooktop or as additional cook space. Locating it on the island offers generous workspace and storage options.
- In-drawer dishwashers, usually consisting of two drawers, give you flexibility in dish washing. Using only one is more efficient if you’re only washing a small load. You can also wash with one without having to wait to unload clean dishes from the other.
- Refrigeration drawers are a great way to add extra fridge space. This is perfect if you have a big family, entertain frequently, or just want a dedicated beverage fridge. Again, the island is a great spot for this handy feature.
- A built-in coffee center is the next best thing to having a live-in barista. Simply press a button and get a perfect cup of coffee, espresso or cappuccino.